Monday, June 18, 2012

Travel time

Travel time to get to Jesse this morning: one hour and 15 minutes on the freeway.

Travel time to get back home this afternoon: two hours and 30 minutes.

Aggravatingly, it was just the last five miles of our freeway travel that took all that extra time.  The last five miles!  It should have taken us 15 minutes to drive that distance, but there was an overturned big rig on the freeway right by our exit, and the resulting traffic doubled the duration of our drive.  Next time I'm checking the traffic reports prior to choosing my route.

But both my kids were good sports and remained cheerful throughout the ordeal -- although I did have to pull off the freeway at one point so Isaac could pee behind a tree.  (He'd had a lot of juice.)  Laurel wanted to join him, but I pointed out she was wearing a diaper.

They are good travelers and I was very proud of them.

2 comments:

  1. I should have texted you! I heard about it on KQED right after it happened and warned Mark... next time I'll warn you about traffic too. In the future if you are on the road stuck in traffic feel free to call/text me with your position & I can check traffic & let you know if alternate routes are recommended. If you have an iphone, google maps can show traffic & offers alternate routes based on your current location & destination.

    PS - the muffin was great, send me the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the ideas! I do have two different options for getting home from Scotts Valley, so it makes sense to check before I go (or even AS I go, I guess). I haven't used the traffic info on Google maps on my iPhone, but I'll look into that too. Also I think 511 has some kind of service.

    Or I could call you!

    I'll give you the muffin recipe on Thursday; it's from a Mark Bittman cookbook. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete